Friday, July 30, 2010

Clueless Advertising, Forehead Butt, and Me


Angie and her hubby are still here, and we're having a great time! Went to Asheville yesterday. More later, but for now, I'll leave you with a re-print of a YOG (Year of Gratitude) post I did a couple years ago. YOG was a joint blog a few R&Ters did for a year back in 2 ought something I forget cause my brain is turning into mush . . . that said . . . see you all later!


I was watching television (a completely mindless but necessary to my sanity condition I allow myself only on certain times of the evening) when I suddenly felt Not Young. For example, the twenty-something woman as representative for a wrinkle cream; I mean really! Wait until she has my forehead butt and then she can tout the “erase the hands of time” lotions (more like claws of time, or shovels of time...). And if you are wondering what a forehead butt is, just take a gander at the photo. There, right between my eyes: Forehead Butt! You can thank my brother Johnny for naming my deep worry wrinkle set there by time and circumstance and deep deep thoughts, like this deep thought post I’m writing (ahem).


Then there’s the feminine product commercials. I never thought I’d be wistful about those ugly little tubes full of cotton attached to cotton string, when upon “wearing” said contraption, one feels like some strange "pull the string" talking doll, complete with Three Delightful Sayings: “Leave! Me! Alone!” “GO AWAY!” and the one that makes the doll's brows meet in the middle and the mouth straighten into a thin dangerous line, “What do you mean is it my time of the month?” Yet, I want to shout to the screen, “Enjoy it while you got it, sister!” But then again, it’s really nice not to have to worry about PMS: Pissed Manic Screamer, and etcetera.

Even the “older people” on television commercials aren’t allowed to get old. There’s things to inflate you, things to unwrinkle you, things to make you soft, things to make you hard, things to give you hair and things to take away hair, there’s vitamins and tonics and lotions and pills and needles full of stuff that used to be bad for you but somehow makes your face immovable and, um, "perfect"—so you don’t get the forehead butt, *sigh*

Despite Clueless Advertising, I feel incredibly grateful for my health and well-being. I’m even grateful for television—how else would I sit drooling on my couch with glazed-over eyes, stuffing microwave popcorn down my gullet, waiting for the next image to entertain me? Now, if I could just get rid of this forehead butt . . . I wonder if eating lots of chocolate and drinking vodka tonics will do the job? I'm going to go find out; later y'all!

8 comments:

Jennifer Shirk said...

LOL! well, if chocolate and vodka tonics do the job, you must share that info. :)

Stephanie Faris said...

I always find it funny to see people like Andie MacDowell, Victoria Principal, and Christie Brinkley hawking "miracle" beauty products when you know full well they've all had massive plastic surgery. Miracle my butt!

Titus said...

I suspect that fairly soon the backlash will come.
I'm following the Liliane Bettencourt (heiress to the L’OrĂ©al cosmetics empire, donor to Sarkozy etc) affair/scandal with great interest, and whilst she is an old lady who has looked after herself, she still looks like an elegant old woman, not a fright-night Priscilla Presley, Meg Ryan, insert any over-surgeried LA dweller here etc.
It is so obvious that, over a certain age, you actually look better without cosmetic "procedures" than with them that the world's women must surely wake up soon.
So embrace your inner forehead butt, everyone! I've had a horizontal wrinkle line across my forehead from about 25, and I love it. It's what I look like.
P.S. I do colour my hair though...
P.P.S. Mine's a G & T. Make it a double.

john bord said...

personnaly i like that part of the anatamony, an insight to a person.
the more vain a person is.......

it is also entertaining how we deal with God's gifts and always are wanting to change them.

Enjoy the visit n have nother vodka n tonic on the porch in the cool of the eve.

t i m said...

After noticing the faintest hint of a line on my forehead, I now make regular contributions to the L’Oreal charity [?] because I’m worth it.

It's better to give, that's what I say. Also, I'm vain, very slightly vain. ☺

Marguerite said...

Forehead butt! lol That's hilarious and I can't stop laughing! In fact, the whole post has me cracking up, as I can relate! All, so funny, but so true, sha! Glad that ya'll are still having fun!

Rebecca Woodhead said...

LOVE it! Never forget that the pen is mightier than the pin-up!

I'm actually toying with the idea of going grey. It hasn't happened yet, but I might let it. How come silver is precious everywhere except on your head? I might look good with silver hair, and I'd be different from everyone else. Men are allowed to go grey or silver - and they end up running everything. Maybe silver hair is blessed with magical powers, and L'Oreal is in the employ of the Old Boy's Network. Hmm. Just maybe...

Debbie said...

Vodka does work. If you drink enough of it, I promise you won't see those lines in the mirror at all!