Thursday, January 14, 2010

Rose & Thorn, blog, website, & Good Bye Osondu


One of my favorite photos of little Norah Kathryn, fresh from her bath . . .

Whew, just about have all my Rose & Thorn duties done so we can go LIVE tomorrow. Also, our newsletter will go out tomorrow, to announce the issue. If you haven't signed up for the free newsletter, I hope you will consider it. It's fast and easy. There's an interesting interview up at the R&T blog, Brian Wilkins is the editor of Scarab: a literary magazine for the iPhone, and you can also subscribe to R&T blog if you would like to!

As you can see, I also changed my blog look. I even put a thingee where you can subscribe to my blog - if you've a mind to do that or like to do that kind of thing. I also put a thingee to count down to the tentative release date of SECRET GRACES.
I fiddle dee dee'd with my website, too, and hope it's a little more organized. I can't wait to add SG's cover, trailer, and whatever else.

I leave you with a post I did over a year ago. It was before I knew Tender Graces would be published (see last line! Now I DO have that!) . . . and it was written before we all knew Osondu would be closing its doors and becoming a part of Blue Ridge Books & News. I will be going to see Osondu one last time before Margaret takes out the last box of books and locks the door. It's going to wrench my heart out, so I can only imagine Margaret's heart.
Margaret: I will miss Osondu's Booksellers on Main Street Waynesville. I will miss everything about it. I'm so glad you will be at Blue Ridge Books, but nothing and no one will ever be Osondu Booksellers.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am sitting in a little independent bookstore in Waynesville, North Carolina: Osondu Booksellers, owned by Margaret Osondu. This isn’t a commercial for Margaret, although I gladly tout to the four-thousand winds her bookstore, and Margaret herself, whenever I have the chance. Instead this post is about our independent booksellers, and how I want to see them not only stick around, but to succeed, and succeed in a big way. Sure, the Big Guys have their charms, but it’s as if they are like the Good Looking Man in the room, the one who winks at you, whose suit fits perfectly without a pucker or a wrinkle, whose hair is fashioned in the latest cut, and who knows he owns the room; he’s also the one who doesn’t have time to say much more than a, “Hello! Okay, busy busy busy, have to run now, call me! Or rather, have my people call your people and we’ll have lunch.” We all know lunch isn’t going to come, unless it’s with his representative.

Ah, but the Independent bookseller! I come in Osondu’s and most days Margaret is here. She’s here not only because she owns the business, but because she loves books, she loves reading, she loves this community. She’s the woman in the room who smiles warmly, comes to you and says, “How are you?” and really wants to know how you are. She says, “Hey, such and so book is in; I know how you love to read so and so.” The bookstore is small and warm and inviting, with chairs in the back to sip tea while working or reading or just laughing—just what is happening as I type: I am working, another table of women is having a bite to eat with tea or coffee, and up front, Margaret is helping a customer with his book choices.

Most days, when our mountain weather is fine (and most of the time it is!) the front door is open, letting in a soft breeze, and as people walk by, they can peep in and see me working, see the women talking and laughing, see the books lining the shelves, smell teas, coffees, cookies, brownies. Even when Margaret is not here, she has chosen staff who offer up a smile and warm greeting every time I come in here. This is the face of the indie booksellers. Please, let’s support them. Let’s patronize them and keep them here. Let’s have gratitude for them. They are the strong bones of the community. And this writer will one day be proud to have her books sitting on the shelves of these locally owned bookstores!



8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awesome! It happened. :O)

Susan R. Mills said...

It's so sad and happy at the same time. You DO have a book on bookshelves, but the bookstore is closing. What a bitter sweet day.

Karen said...

Your blog site is really cute, but not as cute as that baby. What a doll! Oooo, can't wait to read the new book.

Jessica Nelson said...

Awww, did you see her cold little toes? How'd she do that?? LOL

Donna M. Kohlstrom said...

Just when I thought you couldn't post any more cuter pics of that sweetheart of a baby...you post this adorable one!! If you keep on showing us this cutie, I may just have to hop a plane and scoop her up with lots of hugs and kisses!!

I'm hoping and praying that my newly married youngest son and daughter in law hurry up and give me one of these precious gifts!

Midlife Roadtripper said...

Beautiful baby.
I hate to see the independents close down. How easy it is to shop online or have the wide selection at a large chain. But nothing like the intimacy of store run by someone with the books almost running through their blood.

Congrats on the new issue. Awaiting its arrival.

Deb Shucka said...

Norah gets cuter with every picture! Are you missing her like crazy?

A Cuban In London said...

What I loved the most about this photo is her facial expression, a if to say: 'what ar eyou aiming that camera t me for?' :-)

Many thanks.

Greetings from London.