Sunday, June 14, 2009

I screamed they screamed we all screamed for ice cream with blueberry sauce!

As we headed out the door, Soot called out, “Y’all come on back soon. Dontchoo stay away so long next time!”

I gave her a little wave and walked out with Dylan into the dark. The air was close and wet, settling on my skin. My clothes rubbed against me until I thought I’d go insane. I wanted to throw off everything and run howling at the old moon. I watched Dylan from the corner of my eye, watched his mouth forming all those words. My body itched and jittered. I didn’t like that itchy feeling one little bit.-- Virginia Kate Book 2

My signing went well. It was an informal thing where I just sat at the front of the bookstore at a little table with my books. I met some wonderful people, signed some books, was invited to lunch with some ladies, had one very nice woman come by just to tell me she'd read Tender Graces and was recommending it to her friends (yay!), met one of the wonderful vivacious Book Club women whose book club I'll be speaking to and answering questions from next month, and etcetera!

I am thinking of doing a "virtual reading" - I have this webcame on my laptop - it's not all that great, but it works. What do y'all think about that? If I record a reading of VK...or does that seem boring? Wouldn't it be cool if somehow we could do it "live" where people could ask questions or whatever and we could talk? I'm sure somewhere somehow this can be done, but I'm not savvy enough to set it up.

Here is what we had for dessert Friday night when we had two friends come over - I used to call them "GMR's Theater Friends" but they've become our friends- two of The Regulars came over and GMR prepared a jambalaya pasta. I made dessert and all I did was this:

2 cups blueberries
2/3 water
4 tablespoons of sugar (or sugar to taste)
4 teaspoons cornstarch dissolved in 2 tablespoons of water (and lemon juice to taste, but I forgot to put the lemon juice in mine and no one noticed a thing!)
Put the blueberries, water, and sugar in a pot and bring to a boil (I stirred the water and sugar together first, then added the berries)...after it comes to a boil simmer it for 3 minutes, then add the cornstarch slurry - cook 4 or 5 minutes until thickened.


I served that over some Creole Cream Cheese ice cream that GMR had brought back from South Louisiana - if you've never had Creole Cream Cheese ice cream -ohhhhh! It's sooooo gooooood. You can use whatever ice cream you want to use - but I put the scoops of ice cream into a "balloon" wine glass and then ladled out the blueberry sauce on top - and that's it! Easy easy and so danged good you'll jump up and do a jig.
Y'all have a great Sunday - see you later!

images from google images:

12 comments:

Angie Ledbetter said...

Yuuuummm! Ate a cup of Blue Bell's Chocolate Covered Strawberry ice cream last night. :) GMR's pastalaya was good, I bet!

Anita said...

That looks like it has to be yummy! So glad that your signing went well and that you were able to meet some good people. And thank-you for the little teaser from VK2!

Sandra Leigh said...

I think a live reading is a great idea, Kathryn. btw, will you be putting out TG as an audio book?

Jessica Nelson said...

Cream Cheese ice cream??? YUM!!!

Yay, so you have an excerpt up of VK! I'm guessing Dylan won't end up being her true love of all, will he. Too bad about that itchy feeling. LOL

Lori said...

I think anything with cream cheese in it sounds and tastes wonderful so I can only imagine it in icecream. This desert sounds most wonderful...may have to make it when my kids come home in July!

Michelle said...

Oh yum, that ice cream sounds divine...

artwork of mine

http://michelle-colourmyworld.blogspot.com

Take a peek if you like :)

scroll down, the better stuff is down the other end.....

xxx

Travis Erwin said...

I too love blueberries and ice cream.

Deb Shucka said...

You and Angie have really cranked up my ice cream craving. Yikes!

It was so nice to get a glimmer of more VK.

Anonymous said...

Pastalaya fuels champions. See how well it works.
Say hey to the mountains for us. Our eldest is spending the summer working a camp on the Tennessee side. I think we may lose him to the mountains.
Oren

Barry said...

Oh now! That sounds delicious!

You've worked up an appetite in me!

Fantastic Forrest said...

You had me at jambalaya. The blueberries are sensory overload. Creole Cream ice cream sounds lovely, but I don't know that we can get down to Louisiana this summer. We're already doing 7,300 miles. So what's in it? Can we make it ourselves?

Oh - and the virtual reading/questioning thing: you could at least do a video of you reading, then set up a chat room, like there was on Brasserie Alize. That might be a good way to start.

NCmountainwoman said...

Oh, yes. Having a virtual reading would be exciting. I would definitely enjoy it. I'd love to hear your own voice reading the stories.