Friday, May 8, 2009

Trade-Paperback writer, writer, writer, I'll be writing more in an hour or two...


The library sent me some magic, because I wrote and wrote yesterday. Today I will be back at the library, as the carpenters will still be here; besides, I loved sitting in the library, working on VK, smelling the books, being near all those many many many books! I wonder if the librarian from yesterday is reading Tender Graces and what she thinks....I wonder this every time someone tells me they are reading about Virginia Kate. She's become Our Virginia Kate, hasn't she? Angie Gumbo Writer and I used to talk about VK-isms all the time *laughing* - those things she says and whenever someone would read Tender Graces, they'd come away with some VK-ism....teeheehee.

Here is something really cool that happens to me and I wonder if it happens to any of you. When I am in the midst of working on something - like VKbook2 right now for instance - I will go to bed and then in the middle of the night, or maybe first thing in the morning, I will awaken and the Very First Thought will be a sentence or phrase that is highlighted in my brain, like a neon sign almost, and I immediately think: "No, that's not going to work...." or "Take that out...." or "Change that..." or "That's out of voice..." or whatever. It's the coolest thing because I won't have been thinking about that part of my writing at all - or not even thinking about the work exactly, but something in my brain is working out something I didn't even know was a problem while I'm sleeping and then wakes me up and tells me that something isn't right in the manuscript....

...So, I woke this morning and one sentence popped into my head and I know it has to come OUT. The other morning, or middle of the night, an image of a description about Micah popped into my head and I knew I had to go in and fix something there. It's really interesting how that happens, and I'm glad it happens, but it's also kind of amazing how my brain works something out on something I'm not even thinking about! Probably when I'm reading over it or writing it, something in my brain files it away in that black hole where my words come from, and it's all jumbled, but at night while I sleep, the jumbles organize and then start telling me what's what on some more obvious things? *I'm shrugging*

Okay...last night I had the sillies. So I was acting silly and Good Man Roger was just shaking his head. Then I began flopping about the room, with my head kind of leading the way - my head went this way and that-a-way and I was being jerked around by my head, and I hollered out to Roger: "Help! Help! My head has a mind of its own!" .....Then I laughed at my own joke - I laughed and laughed and GMR laughed, too -- but was he laughing at my joke or my silliness? Who knows - but don't you think that's pretty funny? Huh? Huh? ...My head has a mind of its own? Get it? huh? heeeheheheheheheehhe :0)

Now, tell me if your head has a mind of its own - do you wake up and a something "comes to you" like that? Either if you ask a question or pose a problem, or if like what happens to me sometimes with my writing, does something just Become Clear to you upon awakening?
(PS - Look at what I saw, by coincidence, on my home page this morning after I wrote this post: Scientific American's "Brain has 'Moving Parts'" laughing- yup my head has a mind of its own...teehee

8 comments:

Angie Ledbetter said...

LOL, nutball. Kathryn-isms ("My brain has a head of its own" and vice versa) are just as good as Virginia Kate's in TENDER GRACES! :) Get thee back to the lie-berry!

Kathryn Magendie said...

Hey - I'm at the li-berry right now! Getting ready to hunker down to work --some guy has "MY SPACE" from yesterday -grrrr - so I had to hunt for the perfect spot - we'll see if this spot works, if not ,I'll find t'nother....

A big storm is coming -- I will be able to see it from this winder..

later gators!

Janna Leadbetter said...

Yes! VK has worked her way into my noggin, and I'm seeing things more beautifully, more thoroughly, as she does. It's fabulous! I hope she'll be my companion as I continue rewriting my Bliss Lake. She's helping me learn how to dissect things even more, so I can write them out with clarity and beauty.

And the mental picture of you beeboping around your house makes me guffaw! I have moments like that sometimes, and they're good for us. You're a hoot!

Barry said...

I'm just beginning Tender Graces (Chapter Four) when I suddenly realized I didn't really know what a holler was. My head (having a mind of its own) had decided a holler was a small valley where neighbours lived close enough to "holler" to each other.

Turns out I was kind of on the right track and totally wrong at the same time.

Oh well, that's a common experience for me. At least now I know.

Debbie said...

Angie is so right. Your little expressions are the best!
And I often have all that stuff going on in my head in the middle of the night. One of two things happen - those crazy thoughts either keep me awake or when I wake up the next day, I can't remember my brilliance. Sadly, both things usually happen. I am at my best in the middle of the night while comatose. This is not a good thing!

Sandra Leigh said...

Kathryn, you make me grin from ear to ear. How 'bout you pop on over to my place? I've got an award for you.

colbymarshall said...

not necessarily upon awakening, but sometimes things do just hit me...

JOY said...

Hey bobble head Kat, bobble bobble, giggle, giggle, yeah, I can see your head taken over . . . Maybe it's a new dance?!?

Yep, I have this honing section of my brain . . . when I'm working on a poem, think it's done, go to bed, the honing device wakes me up with a post-it note - To Whom It May Concern: this word is out or how about this one instead. I love it and I don't even have to pay the honer anything - Ha! LOL